Sunday, August 15, 2010

Trying to remain an even keel

I had some time this week to read some of last years posts. What I noticed is that this year I am more consistent. Last year I spoke a lot about a roller coaster that I was on. I dont feel that anymore. I feel my body changing. It is very fun. I feel faster, I am recovering easier. I am waiting for the scale to tip the other way. I know enough about endurance training to know that it is not all sunshine and roses all the time. Right now I feel strong. I am grinding it out better. Here is how my week went.

Tuesday-Quality run. When I say quality I am going to use those days as some specialty run. This particular run was intervals. I love them. This run was no different. However, I had some watch difficulty and didnt have data. I felt very strong though. 1 mile warm-up, 3 bout of 3 min on/off, 1/2 mile cool down. 4 Mile total. I havent ran them in a while so I thought I would introduce myself slowly. I definitely could have gone more. I ran the first mile in about 9:30, interval speed was 7:40, recover at 10 ish. I look forward to more of them and more intensity. Then softball at night.
Wednesday- Rest
Thursday-Bike quality. I rode 14.5 miles on a new loop. I did a loop very similar last year. This year 2 mph faster on the hill and I climbed them. So for 2010 lets just say sisters 0, Ron 6. I climbed them easier with less HR, less fatigue, and more speed. I love that. Another thing I was thinking is I am going to stop talking about them like I am afraid of them or automatically a challenge. I own them.
Friday-Plyos, abs. I was able to jump higher, lift more weight. I just feel stronger.
Saturday-Bike/Swim brick. Since there were some events going on at Lake Las Vegas (where I wanted to swim since that is race course) we went to boulder beach. I had planned a swim of 30 min, easy to transition, then ride between 30 and 40 miles. Actual 33 min swim about 800-1000 yards, slow did some education on OWS with a couple of newbies. T1 slow 8 min, again with some education. Bike ride 35 miles, I have set a new times for checkpoints. This one was 6 min faster then the last few times I rode this course. This was only 14 miles of Silverman course but good hills nonetheless. I encountered my RAGE climb this time some 20 miles more under me then when I ride this hill. Crushed it. I am so surprised how much better I feel. Overall it was a 3:20 min effort. I am significantly bigger than in terms of minutes, miles, and speed then I was last year.
Sunday (today)-Long run. I planned 8-10. Actual 8. I woke up late and it was hot. I probably didnt have more in me anyway. I FELT STRONG THOUGH. My watch seems to have a mind of its own. I thought I had the autopause on I didnt. So the per mile and the overall pace is off. It says that I averaged 9:46 but I think it was more like 9 because I had 3 stops at lights. I feel good out there. I am using a more forefoot strike with a non-valgus position. I think those are my keys. Quote:

“Celebrate your success and stand strong when adversity hits, for when the storm clouds come in, the eagles soar while the small birds take cover”

4 comments:

Christi said...

Great job on the training!

Caratunk Girl said...

Keep it up, your training is going awesome!

P said...

That positive mindset of yours is just as good (or better!) than all of your training! Great week of workouts!

Karl Stutelberg said...

I agree with "P", keep up the good work, you are capable of much more, the possibilities are endless!