Sunday, June 14, 2009

Decent Weekend

Saturday started out poorly. I wasnt able to "sync" up with the GVC. So I decided to head down to the lake and ride there. I got a speeding ticket coming down the hill. By the way its 45 there.

Rode 16.16 miles in 1:13:23 at the lake 13.2 mph average. I was a little faster than the last time I did this route but last time there wasnt the wind I experienced yesterday. A miserable morning.

Today I had a great run. 6 miles in 53:14, a 8:52 pace. The same route as last week 2:08 faster. Not the wind of last week. Here are the splits: 9:01, 8:50, 8:52, 9:02, 9:04, 8:23. Fast finish. The Vdot says my fastest 10K is 50:42. I didnt go all out. My speed work is working. If I can keep that pace over a 1/2 marathon they I would finish in 1:58. That would work.

As I am moving forward I am trying to figure out how I am going to attack the Silverman. Right now far enough away that I am not necessarily officially building but I am more advanced than the schedule calls for at this point. I feel great. I dont feel tired or sore. I think I am going to adapt a longer training week. Instead of 7 days a week, may be 10 days or so. I am going to play with it.

"Top results are reached only through pain. But eventually you like this pain. You'll find the more difficulties you have on the way, the more you will enjoy your success."
- Juha "the Curel Vaatainen

2 comments:

Karl Stutelberg said...

I meant to comment on the last post but here it is now. I know we talked on the phone but wanted to drive home a few things:
I think a 10 day cycle would be great for you. That would mean one long run (for you right now 70-90 minutes) every 10 days, one interval workout every 10 days, one long bike every ten days, one threshold run every ten days, and so on.
That way you can spread out your running workouts more with biking and swimming in between to give you more recovery time. I would give your self at least 2 days between any "quality" run day (intervals, threshold run, long run).
Getting in with a group on your long bikes at least twice a month would be very helpful I think.
The interval training is paying off. Keep it up.
Great run on Sunday! How did you feel? I wonder what your heart rate was. Did you feel like you could have sustained that pace any longer?
Here is one more thought, ok two more thoughts. First, Clay has Zac rate his workouts 0-10 (10 being an all out 100% effort like racing, or on the verge of puking). In your log it might we worthwhile to rate your workouts so you know if you are working too hard or not enough. You can also then compare workouts even between run, bike, and swim. It will also help you know that if you had an "8" workout on Monday, you might want to have a 5-6 workout on Tuesday, not another 8 or 9.
Finally, did you read that article that I linked on training by time not mileage? I think the most interesting part or the take home is that if you run at an easy pace for 1 hour and I run at an easy pace for 1 hour, I may run farther, but we both get the same training effect. Keep that in mind. Can't wait to see you in 3 weeks. It will be fun!

Karl Stutelberg said...

PS...As you get faster, you have to run farther to get the same training effect, your body doesn't know mileage, it only knows that you ran for an hour! Bummer.