Sunday, September 13, 2009

nearly a good training weekend...

I say nearly because I was well on my way to a great brick on saturday. I got into trouble. It all started the night before. I couldn't sleep. It wasn't the night before a race or anything but GEES it sure felt like it. The goal was a 1/2 hour swim followed by 40 to 45 miles on the Silverman bike course including my attempt at the 3 sisters within the rest of the course. I was dreaming about the ride. I woke up fired up. I was going to give it all I had and see where I stood. I woke up and took my sweet time loading the jeep with all of the transition items I was going to need. Headed out to the lake about an hour later than I would like. My wife was cool to wait while I swim and offer words of encouragement while I transition to bike. I started on my bike and I felt very strong. As I went I felt my confidence growing on the bike. I reached a familiar landmark some 6 min ahead of where I usually am. I started to believe that this was the day that I climb the way I know I am capable of. Here I am about to reach the turnaround and I am starting to get hot, very hot. The highway around the lake began to look like something out of a cartoon when a character is alone in the desert. I swear I passed a cow skull. My legs felt good, my heart/lungs felt fine but my brain did not. I was getting very very tired and I was on my way to bonking. It was now 12ish and I couldn't believe how dumb I was to be out there in that heat. I was going to make it home. I pressed on. I got another 5 or so miles and I was starting to get scared. I was running out of water. I couldn't drink it fast enough it seemed. I called it quits around 31 miles and my wife rescued me. I was embarrassed and frustrated. I wanted to know where I stand. It was just way too hot. It was fast while it lasted and I know know what the path to bonking is like. I hope I dont get there again. I was miserable the rest of the day. I drank as much water as I could and I never felt like I cooled down.

This morning thought may be I could get an easy 6 miles of running in. NOPE. Still feeling the effects of yesterday. I went out for 6 and ended up with a 2 mile run and a 2 mile walk back. My legs were crampy. My L calf was real bad. As I type it feels considerable better. I dont have a lot of weekends left. Next week I am in Seattle. The following weekend I am tuning up at Las Vegas Triathlon with an olympic distance race. Then It will be October. Just riding this roller coaster. I am going to continue to do the best I can with what I have. Not sure how this next weeks training is going to go but I will give it a whirl. QUOTE:

Remember the two benefits of failure. First, if you do fail, you learn what doesn't work; and second, the failure gives you the opportunity to try a new approach.
Roger Von Oech

I dont really see this weekend as failure but a lesson in what NOT to do. Not to self: I live in a desert and it is still hot out there.

4 comments:

Karl Stutelberg said...

Sounds like you learned a lot this weekend including, "The early bird catches the worm." Hope you recover well. What's in Seattle?

Tri-James said...

You have to accommodate the heat – I am sure you know this but plan for it – deal with it – don’t expect your best results when you are in the thick of it. At best the heat (and humidity -remember I am in Southern Mississippi) will cost you minutes per mile - at worst it will shut you down.

Lessons learned in training sure beat lessons learned in racing!

I think you still had a pretty good weekend.

Chuck said...

Sometimes reading your posts I get the impression that you are to hard on yourself. Remember how relaxed you were before the half marathon at Disneyland? You knew that you were going to run easy with Julie, and you put no pressure on yourself. You just went out and enjoyed the event! I believe that you should try and go into each workout with the same attitude. Relax and have fun! You are doing great!

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

geez you are hard on urself! getting up early on weekends always sux but it's way better than fighting the heat. have a good week! AND code brown is so in effect~ I saw more poop monday than i have in my whole life..... ewwwwww!