Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Big T

Taper. I read a lot blogs and everyone is on break. Offseason. I am having this weird battle inside my head. I read last years blog at this time and I did not comment on that. I know what is in store for me and I have met all of last years goals. All of them. I have put in more miles, a lot faster, and I am closer to the body I want. YET, I am almost freaking out. LOL. Its weird. I cannot stop thinking and evaluating. My work should account for itself but its not. I am amped up. I need to sleep and the last 2 nights I didn't. I cannot predict what is happening but I am right there going over all the details in my head. What if it doesn't turn out right? Every race I did this year was a PR. That is a huge streak and a tribute to my hard work then why am I not feeling it?

I had friday off and my wife and I decided to head out of town. We went to St. George, Utah about 2 hours east of Vegas. I rode about 20 miles or so of the IM course and I can rule that one out. The view was awesome but the ride absolutely was miserable. I cannot believe that is race course. I felt like I rode on a tuning fork for an hour and a half. I turned back sooner then I wanted to secondary to wind (a lot of it), rain, and hail. Very cold. Miserable. Here is my week by the numbers:

Monday-Easy Run 4
Tuesday-Went to Lake Las Vegas and swam the lake. About 20-30 min or so. No distance or time avail. Cold. Dirrty, lol. Not horrible though. Definitely doable.
Wednesday-Pushed a ride.
Thursday-5 mile run.
Friday-Hiked Zion.
Saturday-30 mile bike on IM St. George. My legs felt like jello. It was miserable. Shouldn't I feel good today?
Sunday-Easy semi-long run. 8 miles on the 3 rivers trail right next to the virgin river. It was nice. I would train in St. George again. I will also consider racing there too.

One week from right now I will be watching the finishers of the full drag themselves across the finish line. I will know how I went. I am fired up, I am nervous, I am excited, I am so ready for this to be here already. Quote:

“When you suffer an attack of nerves you're being attacked by the nervous system. What chance has a man got against a system?”
Russell Hoban

4 comments:

Karl Stutelberg said...

"Breaks, where we're going we don't need breaks."

I am looking at the forecast...looks like it could be hot! High next Sunday is 80! That doesn't sound hot but it is. Hydration will be key to getting through the bike and run without issues. Wear white! Good luck, we'll be thinking of ya!

Caratunk Girl said...

Enjoy your taper and good luck in your upcoming race, you are going to do awesome.

This is a hard time of year for me to blog, I am at a loss for material because I am not doing long anything...

Anonymous said...

enjoy the taper and let some positive visualization in...

Chuck said...

Hang tough tomorrow! Best Wishes.