Sunday, October 2, 2011

No Racing is Killing Me....

As a coach I prepare my athletes to run.  As a PT I help my patients to run/perform.  Usually I have a steady dose of one race after the next, one stepping stone to the next.  I do not have that right now.  Although I am on the clock with the Las Vegas Marathon.  It is months away.  While I prepare for this race I am running very well.  I am dying to see where I am.  I am dying to see what my goal for Las Vegas should be.  When I started all this I read that 4:30 was the cut off.  That would be a 50 min PR.  Can I go faster than that?  What does my fitness say right now?  Here is how my week went.

Monday-Rest
Tuesday-Preview the race course.  I ended up with 5 miles.  3 miles under 8:20.  The details have been fuzzy.
Wednesday-Race course again easy.  5.5 Miles easy at 9:15 pace.
Thursday-6 miles under 9.  10 min easy, drills and strides.  Then 2 laps on the 5K course.  It didnt actually occur to me that it would be near 10K.  And if I run it under 6 that my 10K PR would be in play, IN TRAINING.  My official 10K PR is 53:42.  I ran 53:45.  I also clocked the 10K at 6.26 miles.  Hmmm.  It was a 8 miles effort.  I felt strong and holding back.  It was 2 X the 5K course.  The first 5K was 25ish and the second was 28ish.  The avg was 8:35.  I wasnt too tired.  In race conditions I can go harder, the cross country world calls this course a slow course.
Friday-Long run.  Since the meet is on saturday, I had to get my long run on friday.  14 miles.  I wanted sully to reach his max so he ran 8.  Then a 6 mile add on.  The first 8 I felt like I could run forever at 9:30-40 pace.  Then I dropped sully off, headed back out.  I thought I would run my 6 mile loop.  The big hill zapped me.  Then the mental games started.  The last 6 were a grind.  Too slow, too much mental.  I think it was a culmination of the week.  I was pooped.  I got it in. No injuries just tired and sore.
Saturday-Meet.  I didnt have training clothes on or my watch but I walked and ran a ton.  Nothing official as mileage goes but I was very tired.
Sunday-Training run at elevation.  I forgot my watch but did 20 min easy, drills/strides, and then hill repeats, 10 in cool down.  I think about 6 total.  Felt OK.  Looking forward to a new week.
Stats:  38 miles total.  All goals met.  I can get my nutrition better and I can rest more.  I may need to add some strength/core work.  I can feel the adaptation.  Quote:

"the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am definitely in a new stage of challenge

2 comments:

Chuck said...

I can totally relate to "No Racing is Killing Me..."

After 3 months of great training my marathon (Wichita) is finally here! Karl has done an excellent job coaching me. I have run some fantastic workouts on the aqueduct. Like you, I am dying to race!

Great job grinding out the 14 miles on Friday! Remember! You will not have to deal with any hills in the Las Vegas Marathon. You definitely have the leg speed to run a 4:30 marathon. Keep plugging away! You have survived the summer heat. Your training will be easier with the cooler fall weather.

Karl Stutelberg said...

Can you come out her on Nov 6th for the Santa Clarita half marathon? Great tune up race!!!