Sunday, July 12, 2009

challenging week and award

I suppose this blog thing would not be honest without some crappy weeks. So I am writing an entry to fulfill my obligation to be true to myself and write an entry with a poor week. I don't have any excuses. I was certainly excited to begin the push to silverman but I let life get in the way.
Tuesday-Easy recovery run 3 miles in 29:00.
Wednesday-My friend and colleague had a very interesting discussion. He said that he could do a sprint triathlon anytime he wanted. Now granted Art is a good runner and he is in good shape. He hasnt swam in 15 years though. He has a history of excellent running times and says that at one point or another he was a great cyclist and swimmer. My question; What have you done lately? I said "I think you could do the bike and run without a problem...fast?....without soreness or fatique? No but I dont think you can do the swim. #1 its open water, #2 you havent swam a lick. His answer I could do it. Really?! He said name your stakes and lets bet. I thought since its water lets bet a seafoood dinner on it. DONE he said. Here is the bet: 500 meters (10 laps), cant touch the bottom, and you cant stop, all in 20 min or less. HE LASTED 1 1/2 LAPS! I win. Dinner will be in a week or so. I got off late in the first place....horsed around at the pool with Art and then got to my bike trainer. I warmed up 10 min, started some intervals and I was dead. Legs heavy, heart/lungs not interested. I had 4 planned I finished 2 and the cooled down. Lack luster at best.
Thursday-scheduled day off to attend a friend function my wife had me work into my schedule and it ran really late. Got to bed way too late.
Friday-When I wrote my schedule I had the knowledge that I was playing in this softball tournament tonight but It didn't occur to me to figure out a way to train around it. I played in a "midnight madness" tournament. IT LASTS ALL NIGHT. Here are my game times: 7:40, 9:00, 3:00 AM, 4:40 AM. I was dead. No training on Saturday. I was getting home when I should be arriving at the pool for my first brick in a while.
Today (Sunday)-8 miles....lethargic, slow, and labored. Got the miles in though.
I am not upset. I am not happy about it. I just know that this is one of those weeks that make the awesome weeks more enjoyable. We just cannot have awesome weeks every week. Next week will be much better. I will eat better, I will sleep more, and I will train better


I am enjoying reading all of the training blogs that I am reading. Its a funny "other" world. One of the budding friend blogs has bestowed up me an award. It is called the Seven Traits Award, where I list seven things about me, and pass it along to 7 more blogger s. What If I don't have seven others to share it with? I will pass it along in a few days after I learn the rights and privileges associated with this award. Here I go:
#1--After a mountain of personal growth and self work I am actually relieved that my wife and I cannot have a child. I never realized how much I let the people around me influence what I think about myself. I don't think all people should be parents. This world might be a different place if only the appropriate people breed. This allows me the chance to train, travel, and work with more passion. The energy I would spend on kids I use to treat my patients. Its the most rewarding thing in the world. I am happy to be just husband and wife.
#2--I dreamed when I was a kid about doing the Ironman at Kona but I NEVER even considered it a possibility for me. I was a offensive/defensive end in football, a power hitting outfielder, and a power forward in basketball but an endurance athlete? That is not for me. I CANT DO IT. I am a power person...can I hit it far? In the last few years I have worked tirelessly to dissolve boundaries from my mind. What heights can I reach with my fitness and training? I am happy to quietly and realistically chase this dream of finishing the Ironman at Kona.
#3--I am obsessed with music and movies. Not just any movies or music but music/movies that are unique. I don't want to be spoon fed. I am constantly searching and researching for music and movies that are creative and passionate. I am a passion junkie. Any time I find a person who sells out to what they love I gain instant respect. I love that. I am happy looking for my passion fix at a movie or listening to music.
#4--I am on a quest to make sure health is not the reason someone cannot chase their dream or passion. I love helping a drummer drum or a runner run or a painter paint. With more experience and knowledge I am able to be vehicle for change for people who don't even know they need help. Sometimes a minor to major injury is a wake up call to change your life. I am happy to be a person who helps people reach their maximum potential.
#5--I am a "communication" challenged person. I have spent a great deal of time and energy learning about my communication skills and how they interact with others. I believe that 90% of interpersonal problems can be fixed with adequate communication. I am striving every day to communicate better, sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not. I am happy to be a person striving for better communication.
#6--I LOVE DOGS. I am the proud owner of 2 dogs and since my brother lives with me, so does his 2. Thats 4. I almost took a pair of dogs that were looking for a home. 2 labs who were trained and well behaved did not find their way to my home. My wife said no. We dont have a big enough doggie door or back yard for those dogs. I want a wiemeriner sooooo bad. My 2 are small but I love em anyway. I am a big dog person though. I am happy when there are dogs around.
#7--I love Jeeps. I love the top down. I love the open air. I love that I can go where you cant. I love not washing my jeep since they SHOULD be dirty. I carry my bikes on it. I carry my kayak on it. I love how versatile it is. I am happy when I am in the Jeep.

Whew there are my seven things. That was strangely therapeutic. Thanks choco! I will pass it along with I get some ground rules.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle -- victorious. - - Vince Lombardi

4 comments:

B.o.B. said...

Excellent list. I think your strive to be a better communicator will be helped along through your blog.

Jen Feeny said...

Great list!

Julia said...

Yay for free seafood dinner!
Yeah, we can't always have great training weeks, but I think it's the tough weeks/the horrid workouts that make us tougher and more determined in the end. keep it up!
I loved your list! Do you have any good movie suggestions? I'm bored at all the choices at Blockbuster

Chuck said...

I really enjoyed reading this entry. Great list! I strongly agree with your comment that "All people should not be parents". I hope to get the opportunity to talk about your baseball experiences at the Disneyland Half. All of my life I have been a huge baseball fan. I went to a game at Busch Statium when I ran the St. Louis Marathon last year and I am going to a Reds game at the new Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati when I run the Air Force Marathon this September.