Wednesday, October 21, 2009

--SPECIAL--Midweek post

My first midweek post in a while and to what do i owe the pleasure? Today marks the one year anniversary of starting this blog. This diary of my training and my journey to become the best I can be. Here is last years post.

Since that post I have since significantly upgraded my bike. In fact the guy at the bike shop told me I started my training on a small heavy rock. Wow great description. I still have dreams of Kona but now I have a lot more of an idea of what it would take to get there. This year I did get to ride about 20-25 miles on Queen K. To qualify for Kona you have to complete an IM event and basically win your age group. I am training for a 1/2 iron distance and I am not sure if I even want to double the distance. The progression I have placed in front of myself before I think of an Ironman are (after the 1/2 iron distance): a 1/2 marathon completed in less than 2 hours and full marathon. Since the IM events sell out very soon after registration opens you have to plan a year in advance for one. I have some soul searching to do if that is something I want to do. The personal commitment to that is phenomenal. My wife says she is supportive of that but when it comes down to it will she really be in to it?

I laughed when I read the line "I completed my long swim of 500 m in 24 min or so." Now I can do 500 m in 10 minutes without batting an eye. In fact I have swam as my longest swim 2500 and it was open water too. WOW. Today I rode 30ish miles and I didnt track time. I felt awesome. I rode the "anthem loop." It is 3 very good climbs and 3 fast descents. 6 months ago I wouldnt have been able to climb it and today It was no problem. Crazy how far I have come in a year.

So what have I done this year? I ran 3 1/2 marathons, including my PR of 2:04 (my first ever 1/2 was 2:30). Las Vegas, Santa Barbara, and Disneyland. I have completed 3 triathlons. 1 sprint and 2 olympics. Tritonman, Rage, and Las Vegas Triathlon. I am very close to my first 1/2 Iron distance in a few weeks. I have PR'd in 5K in 25:20 (I think.)

So what are future goals? I have been thinking a lot about this and I think my triathlon future depends on Silverman. It is the biggest race in NV and it is very challenging. I have thought about may be doing some speed work and going fast in some sprints. For my running goals I have signed up for the Rock n Roll Las Vegas 1/2 marathon. Hopefully my sub 2 hour performance. I considered using the running training for silverman as overlap for the Phoenix marathon but it was too much. I think I am going to take a break after silverman from swimming and cycling but continue to run and dovetail into a marathon program. My goal is now the LA Marathon in March. I dont think I can go without riding and swimming because they are a part of me now, but I also do not know where the training will go. QUOTE:

“Our ambition should be to rule ourselves, the true kingdom for each one of us; and true progress is to know more, and be more, and to do more.”
Oscar Wilde (Irish Poet, Novelist, Dramatist and Critic, 1854-1900)

Yes I did do more.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Happy Birthday!

Jen Feeny said...

Happy Blog-iversary!

You've def come a long way and have much to celebrate! I am excited to see where your journey takes you... Keep it up R!!!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm late to your party...bt I did wanna say that progression is always a beautiful and luvuhlee thing. Congrats in getting with it, staying with it, and enjoyin it.

Chuck said...

Looking at the progress that you have made in just a years time really puts things in the proper perspective. You are doing great! Physically and mentally Silverman is going to be the toughest thing you have ever done! When I reached the finish line of my first marathon (1989 Santa Monica Marathon) on my 31st birthday, I told all of my family and friends that I am never running another marathon (I walked the last 8 miles). That was 50 marathons ago! The reason that I am telling you this story is that regardless of how you feel during Silverman, once you cross that finish line you will be an endurance athlete for life! You will be a member of a very elite group of people that can say that they completed a half ironman!

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

aewsome! look how far you have come! i see lots more of great racing your future!