Sunday, January 24, 2010

Long Run....

My journey to the LA marathon is coming nicely. Is it fast? NO. What it is is long and steady. The route we have been using contains longer, steeper, and more hills than the race. It is fair to say that I am not having any pain but I did have the overwhelming feeling that I should get off my feet. I didnt want to stand, walk, or run anymore. That said I pushed it. Another thing I find very interesting is how easy it comes to push. When I stood back and guessed what would be harder as I progress to Ironman I thought the 1/2 Iron distance would be easier than a marathon. So far not the case. I went 18 miles and if I was pressed to go longer I could have. Slow, may be walk some but I can go longer. My wife was able go 16 with some tightness and slight pain but handled it well. I am proud of her for her fighting spirit. She is tough.

I have 2 weeks to Surf City and when I looked down at about the 1/2 marathon time I was 10 min away from my goal. I had walked some with my wife and troubleshooted her ankle and also stopped for traffic lights and water. I am thinking that I am going to be able to give it a go. I have a shorter long run next week, then the 1/2 marathon. This week I will have a recovery run on monday, gym/weights/spin?, wednesday speed?, thursday easy?, rest friday, and saturday may be long progression run?

I am sorely missing the bike and swim right now. I am taking an unorthodox approach to triathlon offseason or now preseason but I am concentrating on my fitness. My resources tell me that the run fitness will translate to swim and bike but not the other way around. I hate the trainer and I hate the cold too. Quote:

“The most successful men in the end are those whose success is the result of steady accretion. It is the man who carefully advances step by step, with his mind becoming wider and wider - and progressively better able to grasp any theme or situation -”
Alexander Graham Bell

10 comments:

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

Ron, good luck with all of your training. i so hear you about hating the cold weather. i see you are in vegas...i got married there in december, 13 years ago and froze my butt off. i had no idea it could get THAT cold there and i had nothing in my suitcase for that temperature.

Chuck said...

Julie and you are really doing a great job on your long runs! Looking forward to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks.

Karl Stutelberg said...

Congrats on another personal long run best! It is pretty cool to be able to tell people you ran 18 miles today. You are certainly ready to break 2 hours for the half in Surf City. Set that Garmin to virtual partner at 9:00 pace and head out! I'm glad the marathon training is going so well. It will be good for your body to have a few weekends of lower mileage. Did you ever think a half marathon would be a low mileage weekend? I don't think this is unorthodox offseason tri training at all. It is going to make your summer training and racing so much better. Think about July 4th 5k out here to PR again. We can make it an annual event!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Your runs are impressive

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

interesting approach... i've heard something kinda similar~I've heard bike fitness was the most important because you are doing it the longest and because if you are beat after the bike it will ruin your run. But keep up the running! I'm only up to 12 thus far. And yes vegas would be nice! And don't dog my "non-details" mentality... I can turn it on when I need to! heheheh

Missy said...

Congrats, that rocks, you have to be proud. It will all come together. I don't care who you are 18mi on your feet is a LONG freakin way.

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

I'm really enjoying reading your thoughts on your training. Just being consistent with training (run, swim, bike or all three) will give you performance gains so long as you keep yourself healthy and focus on good recovery nutrition and rest. Keep up the great work!
-marn

Ulyana said...

That is very interesting about the fitness "translation" from running to other sports. I thought it was the other way around.

Aimee said...

Love the quote! Congrats on going 18miles...that's awesome! I'll be doing my first marathon this fall so I still have a long time to go before I get up to that distance!

Unknown said...

Reading along keep up the good work!