Friday, January 22, 2010

Running in the rain...

For those of you east coasters this is not that big of a deal. In fact, I read how much you loathe training in the elements. Well for here the heat is our element. A change from heat to rain is welcomed. In fact Id say glorious. Even though Karl presented a good treadmill workout, I had 2 runs in the rain and I got to use my rain gear I picked up one day for super cheap. Who uses rain gear in Vegas? I DO! Here it goes:

Monday-Rest and recovered from my long run on Sunday. Had 2 very sore legs.
Tuesday-Planned on a recovery run and strength training but had to save my brother from a long bike ride in flooding conditions. Jeeps come in handy indeed.
Wednesday-Planned on progression run but choose a bad route. I dont have the numbers in front of me but I planned on (6 miles total) 2 miles 9:20-9:30 and then step up to 9:10ish, then hover around 9 for the rest. Didnt happen. My 3rd mile was uphill and my unrecovered legs pooped out. 6 miles total though.
Thursday-Progression run of 4 miles. I think it was 9:28, 9:17, 8:50, and didnt see what the 4th mile was but it was way under 9. 37:00. I think around 8:30. I did not feel as tired as last week generally and muscle-wise. I felt stronger at that pace. Today I am not sore at all too. I feel good. Now rest up today (friday) and run 18 tomorrow. Yeah baby! Quote:

Pay as little attention to discouragement as possible. Plough ahead as a steamer does, rough or smooth - rain or shine. To carry your cargo and make your port is the point.
- Maltbie D. Babcock

YEAH, make your port is the point. You in it for the long haul? or just short timing?

6 comments:

Chuck said...

Sounds like you recovered well and are progressing nicely. Good luck on your 18 miler. Looking forward to reading all about it!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Sounds like your doing well. I, for one, do not like training the cold, not me, no sir. I will suck it up with the dreadmill or trainer.

Your rain gear, was that local or over the net, i need some.

Jen Feeny said...

Great job getting out there rain or no! :)

I've got 18 tomorrow too! Good luck! Get your hydration on!

Mike Russell said...

18 miler tomorrow? You are seriously hardcore. Tell me again why you aren't doing the St. George Ironman again...

Jason Andrew Mellet said...

yeah that steam boat reference in so true, i found especially in the pool, just when you think you are going to drown you get your second wind and away you go.

Val said...

yes!! The rain was awesome! I went out Tuesday, wednesday and thursday. Thursday it was snowing!! I had a blast.