Sunday, January 30, 2011

My watch might be thinking I am mad at him...

Because he has stayed in the drawer. NO RUNNING. Thats right no running for a week before my marathon. My calf has been a challenge. Rehab every day. I ran a broken up 1/2 mile this morning messing around with sully and it was tired. How am I going to run a marathon in a week? May be I shouldnt? May be I can just suck it up? I dont know. Seems like my race is in big trouble. I realized that the footwear I used last run when I pulled it was the oldest beat up shoes still in my closet (they are not anymore). The old Kayano 16's that look like the new 16's. I was thinking the new 16's were about dead and yet I ran the very very dead 16's. I dont know if that is it or what. In the new house I dont have a place to prime my calves I realized I have not been doing that a few weeks. I also have been doing some running form drills and have been on my toes more, that would load the calf more. I have been running a lot more hill lately too. I dont know. I had been injury free a long time. This calf has been an issue in the past too. I am frustrated and worried that I will not be able to complete this marathon.

Monday-sunday-No formal running, rehab only.

Sully update (may be a new feature on the blog?): He has started puppy school and his goal will be to be super socialized so he can be a running dog. I want to be able to run him off leash and not worry about him. He must be well exercised to be trained and if he is not he can be a hand full. Quote:

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace.
--Milan Kundera




4 comments:

Chuck said...

Sorry to hear about your calf issue! Depending on how this week goes, you may want to consider moving down to the half marathon. That way if you start having a problem with your calf you can always walk back to the finish area (and cheer in Karl & Co.) once you re-enter Pacific Coast Hwy. at about the 5 mile mark. Running a marathon is hard enough when you a 100% healthy.

Tracy said...

I would err on the side of caution. The marathon is just a stepping stone at this point and it would be really bad to risk not accomplishing your other goals to finish the marathon. You know what to do - Not what I did last year!

Karl Stutelberg said...

I hate to be pessimistic but it took me 4 months to recover from my calf strain last year and even then I only felt 90-95%. It was more like 6 months until I wasn't thinking about it.

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

boo for your calf issue.... are you going to CSM next week? not sure if you are into that stuff. im going though! my email is heidilaustin@yahoo.com